Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Ecc. 1 [#2]

I just sat down with some dear friends of mine, but because our time was short, I was able to stay here at Chick-fil-a and study for classes and take a quick look at the Bible.

I've always wanted to study Ecclesiastes, but I have often been intimidated by the level of Solomon's knowledge.  I carefully approach the Bible no matter where I choose to study.  Because I had time, I read the first chapter and after much confusion and digging I have compiled some scattered thoughts. I do encourage you to take a look at Ecclesiastes at least Chapter 1 so that this will make more sense to you.

The basic gist of this chapter begins with almost a sense of mourning from Solomon.  His search of wisdom and knowledge brought him to an understanding of life different that I have ever imagined.  "All is vanity!" This was offensive to me at first.  I understood that Solomon did not see worth in life! In verse 3, he questions the work of man in what he can gain as a reward for his toil.  After digging, I discovered that Solomon did not say that all is vain.  There is a crucial difference in the two words that was not addressed in my mind.  The word vain means without meaning or useless and the word vanity means conceited or excessive pride.  With that in mind here is Jeb's thinking.

The value of life on earth is carried way too highly.  You can see where someone's priorities are by what they provide for, protect, and pursue before anything else.  This is typically going to be their selves.  You can also discover this by where they spend their time, their thoughts, and their treasures (money/talents).  We were created to enjoy the glory of God.  This world that He created for us has changed drastically and Solomon is noticing that!  He is at an understanding where any occurrence or issue that we face is not new.  It has happened before and probably has happened multiple times.  Even when we consider the these little, petty insecurities and issues now, we truly won't remember them later.  Ask yourself: What was my mood on the day before Christmas Eve in 2012? You don't remember, do you?  How about this moment two weeks ago?  You can think really hard, but you will not feel what you felt then.. You see this says a lot about us as humans and furthermore as believers.  We were not created to fall in love with this world.  We were not created to live in the past.  "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a NEW creation. The old has passed away; behold the new has come." (2 Cor.5:17)  We were created for more than this.  More than the issues and toils and repetitions of life.  We are supposed to strive and obey, no, cherish the commands that God has laid out for us in His Word.

I hope this makes sense.  I pray that God will speak to you through the studying of His Word.

Blessings

John 3:30  "He must increase and I must decrease."

No comments:

Post a Comment